Gimble's Gambit

Honey Dew

That’s the taste the magic leaves in your mouth as it illuminates your surroundings like rose colored glasses in an otherwise dark and crooked place. This was sweet and you wanted some. please list your rolls. Listen/Spellcraft/Will.

Comments

Listen: 4
Spell craft: +6
Will save:
9

Honey Dew
 

Listen 4
Spells 1
Will 5

Honey Dew
 

Listen: 23 (5 mod, 18 roll)
Spellcraft: 22 (6 mod, 16 roll)
Will: 14 (6 mod, 8 roll)

Honey Dew
 

Oh damn I just listed my bonuses

Honey Dew
 

I had a feeling that’s what you and Piika both did. Nora has the advantage of living with me and being able to conveniently ask for clarification. :)

Metaxis Listen 4+2=6,spellcraft 6+8=14, Will 5+9=14
Pika Listen 4+2=6,spellcraft 1+4=5, Will 5+10=15
Nora Listen 5+18=23, spellcraft 6+16=22,Will 6+8=14

I’m pretty sure this is what we’re looking at for rolls

Honey Dew
 

While Piika and Metaxis are busy contemplating goblin stew, Nora’s keen senses alert her to what she recognizes as the incantations of a charm spell coming from the direction of one of the crooked trees. As the spell is already being cast she is too late to stop it. Piika’s drow resistance keeps the spell from from entering into his mind while the rest of the groups will is strong enough that the magical effects are unable to take hold. Metaxis feels the attack and also recognizes it as a charm but does not know who or where the attack has come from.

Honey Dew
 

“Sonofabitch!” Nora raises her hands and directs a blast of energy towards the crooked tree. (Whelming Blast, will save, spell DC 16 – 17 if targt is denied Dexterity bonus to AC)

Honey Dew
 

Metaxis follows Noras lead an wheels about firing an eldritch blast at……..a tree?
No real target as I have not seen the source but just a blast in the same direction hoping to get lucky.

Honey Dew
 

Goblin Stew forgotten, I snap around to face whatever the magiks were facing to see…a tree?
Confused I ask to the others.
“What…Is there something beyond that tree?” I whisper. With my crossbow out, I step towards it to see.

Honey Dew
 

The Whelming blast goes off in the vicinity of the tree followed closely by the warlocks eldritch blast. (Metaxis will need to make a ranged touch attack for the blast with a 50% miss chance for being unable to acurately target your assailant. Please also make a Spell Penetration check 1d20+lvl)

Honey Dew
 

Ranged touch attack of: 18
50% roll: 01
Spell penetration: 23 (woo hoo)

Honey Dew
 

Immediately following the Whelming Blast the Eldritch blast strikes the tree with enough force to split the small tree down the middle. A few apples rain down onto the ground along with something else…something small. Piika advances to find a small bird on the ground next to the smoldering tree. It looks dead.

Honey Dew
 

Last time that bird will think of casting spells at us!

Honey Dew
 

It doesn’t take a spellcraft check to know that its nothing normal for a tiny bird to be casting charms around. Was this some sort of trickery? Part of Gimbles test perhaps? Our party has little time to contemplate the notion before they hear a horrible screetch coming from behind them. Coming from the direction of the unwatched goblins. Please roll initiative and will saves in the following format (roll+modifiers=X)

Honey Dew
 

Initiative: Roll 19 + Mod 7 = 26
Will: Roll 7 + Mod 6 = 13

Honey Dew
 

Nora is the only one with the initiative to turn around and see the hag working her foul magic on the group. She stretches her bony arm towards you as she spits an infernal incantation. A dark beam of energy serges forward and strikes the caster draining her life energy for 3 pts of str damage.

Honey Dew
 

Ack!" Die foul beast!"
Metaxis will let fly another eldritch blast (when able)

Honey Dew
 

My bad. Forgot the rolls
Initiative: roll: 9, mod: 8 =17
Will: roll: 11, mod: 9 = 20

Honey Dew
 

Metaxis, the master of the eldritch blast. Strangely enough, after the last one, all the little birds seem to have wisened to your parties prowess and have left the area. Weakened from the necrotic ray, Nora has the initiative…

Honey Dew
 

“Ack!” Nora squeals as she falls backwards due to what now feels like a considerably heavier backpack. Like a turtle flipped on it’s shell, Nora struggles to relieve herself of the pack, rolling anxiously back and forth on the ground while twisting her arms through the straps, before hastily getting to her feet on tired, shaky legs.
She shoots a dirty look at her party as if to say speak of this later and I will kill you. Her sweaty and flushed face revealing just how caught off-guard she was and how embarrassed she now is.
“Boys, shield your eyes,” she hisses.
With a dark look in her eyes, Nora points at the hag and, using her other hand to clutch a small bauble (heretofore unnoticed by the party) hanging from the chain around her neck, begins to utter the incantation for a Blinging Colour Surge (p.104 PHBII, Will negates, spell DC 16)…

Honey Dew
 

EDIT: While I’m sure a “Blinging Colour Surge” is probably very cool and may involve summoning Lil Wayne to help us with this quest, I actually meant “BLINDING Colour Surge”. Sorry :-)

Honey Dew
 

The Hag seems unaffected by the bling and looks intent on causing you more harm. Metaxis notices something is a little off about the sudden appearance of the hag. It’s an Illusion! One that seems to have captured the senses of the beguiler. Metaxis is up.

Honey Dew
 

An illusion eh.
Well Metaxis not having any experiences with illusions will yell out to the party that it is indeed An illusion and look for the true culprit.

Honey Dew
 

There seems to be no obvious source for this magic. Was it Gimble? Was the maze itself casting magic on you? The sound of music suddenly fills your ears and the party feels the urge to start dancing. Its playful tune is intoxicating and even the strongest willed find their toes beginning to tap to the rhythm. Nora may make an extra will save vs the illusion with a +2 circumstance bonus from Metaxis’s warning. The entire party, including Nora, must make another Will save or succumb to the urge to dance. Has anyone seen a monk around? Could have sworn we had a monk at one point.

Honey Dew
 

Extra will save: 6 mod + 7 roll (damn it!) + 2 circumstance bonus = 15

Will save to avoid busting a move: 6 mod + 16 roll = 22

Honey Dew
 

Moving to support Nora, I wlak towards her with my hand covering my eyes. Suddenly, searing light blinds my sensitive eyes shooting arrows of pain into my mind. "Did that work, sorceress? i ask.
My voice echoes, my vision clears and I am sitting in a cement room at a desk. Paniked, i jump to attack stance and take in my surroundings.
I am not alone in this room. I am trapped with..humans? I make ready to attack, but i realize they have all been mesmerised, and are silently staring at coloured sheets of paper in front of each of them.
At the end of the windowless crypt is an old hag, evil radiating off her in waves. she glares at me.
What manner of evil are you? I whisper. What foul dimension have you dragged me into?
¿Qué?
I barely understand her words! "What have you done to the people? I will fight for our souls!
Silence, then a sharp barking laugh escapes from her. “Señor Lee, eres muy loco.”
All strength drains from my body and i realise my staff has shrunk to the size of a pointy #2 yellow twig. i look down and in horror try to tear my eyes from my own booklet. No..noo…

(Stunned by Finals, missing one more round)

Honey Dew
 

Will 5 + 10 roll (+2 spell resistance)
Initiative 12 :/

Honey Dew
 

Kirk, you’re hilarious man. Glad to hear from you again and good luck on your finals. Neither the magic of the illusion or the compulsion to dance are able to bypass your spell resistance. You keen ears also alert you to the source of the caster coming from the crooked tree. Nora manages to fight of the compulsion to dance but is unable to see through the illusion of the hag. That ray of enfeeblement sure felt real enough. We’ll break initiative again. Whoever wants to go first is free to act. We’ll consider Metaxis is dancing until he makes a will save.

Honey Dew
 

Dance, dance, dance the night away

Honey Dew
 

Lol will roll: 13, mod: 9 = 21
Argh I have no way of dispelling illusions!

Honey Dew
 

“Piika? Piika?! Why are you trying to use your quarterstaff like an inkpen? And what nonsense are you writing in the dirt ”¿Donde puedo comprar un bigote falso para mi perro??
“What kind of trickery is this? Metaxis, you say this is an illusion but to me it could not be clearer; this hag is using some kind of mind-affecting magic different and stronger than anything I have ever seen or used before.
“Foul, evil wench! How could my spell not have blinded her? How can she possibly still be standing there, completely unharmed? Well, perhaps this will work!” (Glitterdust, will save for blinding only, spell DC 16)

Honey Dew
 

(LOL waves hello)
The scent of apples snap me back to reality. im shaken, and slightly moist.
“Estoy bie…ah, im fine,” i gasp.
i center my chi. my mind reconnects to my body. my body to the earth. the earth to air. ah, there it is.

branch breaks off in storm

i silently tumble towards the tree and fling my (thankfully full sized) staff towards the caster, javelin style, as i come out of my tumble.

tumble 7+11, not sure what stats to use for throwing staff at caster

Honey Dew
 

Metaxis also fights the urge to dance. He shakes his head as he breaks free from the magic and reasserts himself. Piika hurls his quarter staff at the tree…( we need an attack roll for this…ranged…-4 for improvised weapon…and 50% miss for concealement. 2 rolls (1d20+ranged attack mods-4 improvised weapon) as well as a (d100) for miss chance. The area fills with golden sparling dust from Nora’s magic. The hag seems unaffected however and the goblings begin to shriek and blink wildly as they try to see what’s about.

Honey Dew
 

17+2+1-4=16
62%.

angry hornet sees the light
quickly i draw my hand crossbow, and aim towards the tree waiting to see where the staff ends up

Honey Dew
 

The quarter staff flies through the air and past the tree unobstructed. It clatters and bounces on the ground coming to rest at the edge of the cliff. The Hag stops moving. Nora makes another will save with a +4 circumstance modifier. Everyone makes a listen check.

Honey Dew
 

Will: 6 mod + 18 roll (woot!) + 6 circumstance bonus = 30
Listen: 5 mod + 5 roll (boo!) = 10

Everybody looks awesome covered in gold sparkles, by the way.

Honey Dew
 

i lower my crossbow and look at my staff as it lays by the cliff.
huh. i think thats not good…
listen 4+3 =7 :/

Honey Dew
Razzinhellin

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.